The Free Public Library Association was formed in 1909. Membership was open to residents of Vassalboro, Winslow and China for a 50¢ yearly fee. In 1912, Kennebec Water Company donated a cottage on the opposite shores of China Lake to the association. After doing some repairs to the building, it was hauled across the lake on the ice by 4 teams of horses. The library operated in this location from January 22, 1915 until November 6, 1979 when a fire broke out and destroyed the building. The town was then mobilized to begin work on a new library.
Construction of the current library building began in August of 1980. The building was ready for use in February of 1981, with the book drop being installed in 1982. After 20 years, the library had outgrown its space, and an addition was built on the back of the building. Construction began in June of 2000, and the addition was completed in 2001, making the building look as it still does today.
Through the covid pandemic the library stayed open as much as possible and staff rearranged the inside of the library to provide more space to gather and host programs. We now have dedicated children and adult sections where people of all ages can gather, play and learn together.
We invite you to visit the Vassalboro Public Library!